You're never too young to learn about science! Join Discovery and come on a fun-filled science adventure!
What is 'Curious Kids'?
Curious Kids is a program especially designed for children aged 3-5. The aim of Curious Kids is to introduce young children to the exciting world of science in a fun and interactive way. The content of the sessions will address basic scientific concepts.
A Curious Kids session will consist of ...
... a "story time" where children will be introduced to a scientific concept in a story format. This will then be followed by an activity in The Lab, where children will learn the practical application of the concept talked about during story time.
When does Curious Kids take place?
Tuesday and Wednesday in the 1st and 3rd week of the month (excluding school holidays) from 11:00am to noon. Check dates!
How much does Curious Kids cost?
There are two ways to pay for your Curious Kid:
- Pay per session
Only $5 per session per child (Includes: All lab materials. Does not include admission to the general exhibition area)
- Become a member and get in for free!
Becoming a member of Discovery not only entitles you to all of the amazing membership benefits, but also gives your child free access to all of the Curious Kids sessions for a full year*. To find out more about becoming a member here.
*Children need to be a financial member of Discovery (ie. have individual membership or be part of a family membership) to qualify for free Curious Kids sessions.
- Tuesday March 7th and Wednesday March 8th
- Incy Wincy Spider and Friends Let’s make climbing spiders!
- Tuesday March 21st and Wednesday March 22nd
- Peter Rabbit’s Happy Easter Investigating the colours of smarties
Easter Holidays (April 1st - April 13th)
- Tuesday April 18th and Wednesday April 19th
- My Boots in Season How the sun causes seasons
- Tuesday May 2nd and Wednesday May 3rd
- Who sank the boat? Why do boats float?
Further Curious Kids dates 2017 (titles TBA)
- Tuesday May 16th and Wednesday May 17th
- Tuesday June 6th and Wednesday June 7th
- Tuesday June 19th and Wednesday June 20th
Winter School Holidays (July 1st - July 16th)
- Tuesday July 18th and Wednesday July 19th
- Tuesday August 1st and Wednesday August 2nd
- Tuesday August 15th and Wednesday August 16th
- Tuesday September 5th and Wednesday September 6th
- Tuesday September 19th and Wednesday September 20th
School Holidays (September 23th - October 10th)
- Tuesday October 17th and Wednesday October 18th
- Tuesday November 7th and Wednesday November 8th
- Tuesday November 21st and Wednesday November 22nd
- December 5th December 6th
Past Sessions have included:
- I see the Moon! How can we find the Moon?
- The Drop Goes Plop. Let's try filtering water.
- Teddy Bears' Picnic. Honey can be really sticky - what can we do with it?
- I Love Bugs!Do you like bugs? How well do you handle creepy crawlies?
- Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp!Volcanoes and Rockets: this will be quite the party!
- Who sank the boat? Why are some boat shapes better than others
- It's Much Too Hot! The effect of heat on living things and how we measure temperature.
- Colour My World! What makes colour?
- Blowing up balloons!
- Stopping Time: How fast is fast?
- The Enormous Turnip – What makes things hard to move